Week of June 25

June 22, 2010

News from DHR:

New Virginia Landmarks Register Listings:  State-owned landmarks and the soon-to-be state owned Fort Monroe were among the 18 new sites added to the Virginia Landmarks Register by the Department of Historic Resources last week.  (See this press release for a summary of each site).

New Historical Highway Markers Approved:  Four new state historical highway markers, recently approved along with six others by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, honor the contributions of individual women and organizations founded by women in shaping Virginia and U.S. history.   Together the ten newly approved signs reveal the rich spectrum of Virginia history, highlighting topics that range from colonial plantations and leaders, to the Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley, women’s suffrage, and an early government laboratory to research flight.   (See this press release for more information and the text of each of the new signs.)

News from Around Virginia:

Tidewater Region

Menokin, Richmond Co.:  Archaeological field school:  The 500-acre parcel that was once the home of patriot Francis “Lightfoot” Lee, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was host to an archaeological field school with several different sorts of students.  “From work done here before, we have reason to believe that the area where these test pits are being dug might have been in the area where slave quarters once existed,” said Sarah Pope, Menokin’s executive director.  “We’re hoping some of this week’s work will shed light on that.”  Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Mathews Co.Rich in potential archaeological resources:  Five 17th century archaeological sites have been discovered in the county by the Middle Peninsula Chapter of the ASV.   During the 17th century the county was part of a water-based transportation system, located in Gloucester, Virginia’s largest and most populated county. Kingston Parish, in the area that became modern-day Mathews, was supposedly the wealthiest parish in Virginia.  ASV members Forrest Morgan and Tom Karow suspect the county is rich in potential archaeological finds, both post-European colonization and pre-historic.  Gazette-Journal

Lancaster Co.Historic White Marsh church:  The Virginia United Methodist Conference closed White Marsh church in 2002 when its congregation dwindled to a few elderly members.  Now the conference has deeded the church and its 3-acre cemetery to a new nonprofit organization that hopes to repair the 1848 sanctuary and make it a place for meetings, special occasions and worship services by any denomination.  Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Virgina Beach: New museum to open Saturday:  Forty-one years after the end of school segregation, Virginia Beach is recognizing that history by opening a museum. The Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School Museum will open Saturday with a ribbon cutting at 10 a.m.  Black parents purchased the land and helped build the school in 1937 after the school board refused to build a high school for black children, who were being bused to Norfolk.  It closed in 1969, after integration.  PilotOnline

Chincoteague IslandOld cabin to be preserved:  What is believed to be the oldest house on the island is on its way toward restoration.  On Monday, the cabin was moved.  Capt. Timothy Hill may have bought or built the house in 1822, but Timothy Robinson of Heartland Restoration believes it may date further back.  WBOC

Chesapeake Bay WatercraftDr. Paul Ewell’s passion:  Over the years, Ewell has located, researched and cataloged over 400 of these once popular working vessels.  Ewell will speak about these historic boats and his research at 2 p.m. on June 26 at Ker Place in Onancock. The presentation will include the era of Chesapeake skipjacks as well as the buyboats and deadrise boats of the recent past.  Tasley Eastern Shore News

Ker Place, Accomack Co.History camp scheduled:  Basic camp activities include stitching a sampler, painting a floor cloth, touring historic Onancock, dancing to early American music, making butter, and writing with a quill pen. Campers also explore archaeology, architecture, trades and bartering, manners, uses of herbs and so many other historical topics.  DelmarvaNow.com

Roanoke & Southwest Region

Wolf Creek Museum and Indian Village, Bland Co.:  Its origins and mission: Wolf Creek is dedicated to getting the story right, and in recent years, the regional Native American community has stepped forward to assist in that respect.  This year’s All Nations Green Corn Festival, July 16-18, at the Bland County Fairgrounds in Bland, will mark the third annual pow wow. “We learn more about the past every time we host the festival,” Denise Smith said. “There are some great speakers coming this year.”  Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Roanoke, Mill MountainCity council approves easement on 500 acresWSLS

Pocahontas, Tazewell Co.Historic downtown revitalization gets funding:  Gov. Bob McDonnell announced awards of more than $12 million in Community Development Block Grant Funding in 24 Virginia communities. The awards include $1 million to the Town of Pocahontas for the Pocahontas Historic Downtown Revitalization Project.  Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Virginia Tech: Crandall Shifflett designated “professor emeritus”:   A member of the VT community since 1979, American history professor Shifflett pioneered digital scholarship by creating and administering Virtual Jamestown. He also shared his understanding of American history with public school teachers throughout the Commonwealth to enhance their teaching methods.  Media Newswire

Northern Region & Shenandoah Valley

Fredericksburg & Stafford Co.: Officials launch “Trail to Freedom”:  The trail is a regional effort to tell people about the 10,000 central Virginia slaves who self-emancipated here in 1862.  “We cannot omit this part of our history,” said Shenandoah University historian James K. Bryant II.  “Trail to Freedom” now features two wayside exhibits, maps, two interpretive trails, rack cards for tourists and a brand-new website telling the story of one ex-slave in particular, John Washington of Fredericksburg.  Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Prince William Co. PW “Resolves” celebrated by PW DAR:  The local DAR chapter, along with Historic Dumfries, reenacted a historical debate to celebrate the anniversary of the adoption of the “Prince William Resolves.”  The “Resolves” were written in response to the Boston Port Bill which became law on March 31, 1774.  That bill, which closed Boston harbor, was the British response to the Boston Harbor “Tea Party,” Dec. 16, 1773.   InsideNOVA.com

Capital & Central Region

Golden Ball Tavern, PetersburgArchaeology resumes:  The dig, which began last week and will continue through July 18, is the last of of three consecutive summers of this grant-funded project. In three years, Dr. Christopher Stevenson’s crew unearthed more than 36 cart loads of artifacts, numbering in the thousands.  The Golden Ball was built in the 1760s by tobacco merchant Richard Hanson. British soldiers are known to have frequented it during the Revolutionary War, and later it served as the first Petersburg City Hall and courthouse. It was demolished in 1944.  Petersburg Progress-Index

Legacy Museum of African-American History, LynchburgNew exhibit to open:  For 10 years the museum has worked to preserve the stories of the black community within Central Virginia.  A new anniversary exhibit, “Celebrating Community! The Legacy Museum’s First Ten Years,” opens Sunday and features elements of the museum’s nine previous exhibits.  Since June 2000, the museum has collected artifacts, photographs and oral accounts that make up the rich history of Lynchburg’s black community.  The News & Advance

Charlottesville Area Community Foundation: Announces grants:  $270,000 in grants from the Dave Matthews Band’s BAMA Works Fund, which awards grants twice per year, are going to groups ranging from local schools to the Fluvanna County Historical Society to the Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression.  Daily Progress

Statewide

Civil War TourismGrant (funds, not the general) on tap to boost it:  Millions of dollars in grant money from the Commonwealth Transportation Board will go towards enhancements of Civil War tourism.  John Hutchinson, from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation, says, “[Battlefields] are a potential for tourism that really hasn’t been tapped all that well.”  WHSV

Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership: 5th annual conference:  Richard Dreyfuss was the guest speaker for the JTHGP conference.  It’s through organizations such as JTHG and their efforts at educating the public and especially schoolchildren that some of the wisdom of the Founding Fathers can be communicated to the next generation, Dreyfuss said.  Charlottesville Daily Progress

The Land Trust of Virginia: Presents conservation awards: The nationally accredited nonprofit land trust that protects open space and natural and historic resources in Virginia presented three prominent landowners with conservation awards at their annual “Garden Party to Save Virginia’s Countryside” on June 13.  NOVA Daily

Virginia CemeteriesGuest blogger (Sonja Ingram) highlights cemetery preservation: “Many cemeteries can provide an abundance of information through the study of cemetery landscapes, gravestone designs and religious and mortuary practices, but rural cemeteries can provide more fundamental information about the lives of the disenfranchised or poor — information that may not be available elsewhere.”  PreservationNation

Beyond Virginia

BermudaArchaeologists discover intact horse skeleton: The remains of a horse dating back more than 200 years was unearthed during a dig in St. George’s, Whitehall.  The skeleton will give archaeologists an idea of the breeds of horses used in Bermuda in the 1700s.  Bermuda Sun


Advertisements

Week of June 18

June 18, 2010

News from DHR:

New Easement:
Brandy Station Battlefield: Beauregard Farm, LP, has donated an easement on the Nalle Parcel in Culpeper County, thereby protecting 349.28 acres within the core of the Brandy Station Battlefield and situated along the Hazel River.  On June 9, 1863, Union cavalry under the command of Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker crossed the Rappahannock River and attacked Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry and several Confederate foot brigades, initiating the largest cavalry battle of the Civil War and inaugurating the Gettysburg Campaign.  The Nalle property saw fighting between two of Stuart’s cavalry brigades, under the command of Col. Thomas Munford and Brig. Gen. William H. F. Lee, and those of Federal Brig. Gen. John Buford, setting the scene for the larger conflict. The Brandy Station Battle lasted all day, with 21 separate engagements centering on attempts to capture or hold artillery positions atop Fleetwood Hill.  Both sides claimed victory, despite some 1400 casualties.  The Nalle Parcel, currently used for grain and soybean, will remain active farmland. The easement also protects nearly a mile of frontage along the Hazel River.

Historic Virginia:
In May, DHR  launched a monthly web-based slide show highlighting a site chosen among those listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.  May featured Foster Falls Historic District in Wythe County.  For June, we bring you Flat Gap High School, in Wise County.  The links to the two slide shows can also be found on the DHR home page: www.dhr.virginia.gov.  (If you have a VLR-NR site to suggest for Historic Virginia, contact Randy Jones, DHR.)

News from Around Virginia:

Northern Region & Shenandoah Valley

Green Spring Gardens, AlexandriaNew state historical marker dedication and more:  The highway marker celebrates the work of two renowned 20th century designers, Walter Macomber and Beatrix Farrand, who collaborated on the renovations of both the house and the gardens at Green Spring in the 1940s.  Green Spring’s brick manor house was built in 1784, and the property was, at various times, a tobacco plantation, a family farm, and a country estate.  It was purchased in 1942 by Beatrice and Michael Straight, who added to the house and raised their children there.  Given the Straights’ significant social standing in the Washington area (he was editor of the New Republic magazine), Green Spring hosted such luminaries as Hubert Humphrey, Eric Sevareid, Dylan Thomas, and Justice Hugo Black.  Falls Church News-Press

Fredericksburg, Civil War’s 150th Anniversary:   “Thought-provoking” commemoration planned:  So says the group planning the events and programs to be held in the region over the next five years.  The 150th’s programs will ask visitors “to see battlefields not just as places of conflict, but as home places disrupted; to see the presence of the Union army not just as a cause for destruction, but as an opportunity for slaves seeking freedom; to see battles not just as military clashes, but as human experiences that reverberated across the American landscape,” the committee said.  This Saturday, a sesquicentennial-related event will dedicate a new “Trail to Freedom” in Stafford and Fredericksburg.  Wayside exhibits, and more, will outline the story of the 10,000 slaves who gained their liberty by crossing the Rappahannock River after the Union army arrived in 1862.   Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Strasburg Seeks Civil War-era locomotive:  Strasburg needs the locomotive to help tell its part of the story of the Great Train Raid of May 23, 1861, when “Stonewall” Jackson stole some 50 locomotives and 380 railroad cars from the B&O Railroad in Martinsburg and transported some of them over rail and road to Strasburg, where they were sent south to Richmond.  Washington Post

Capital & Central Region

St. Francis de Sales School, Powhatan Co.:  Crumbling and endangered:  In March, a major section of the bell tower edifice collapsed, creating a gaping hole in the structure and leaving the interior exposed to the elements.  Preservation Virginia included the school on its annual list of the Most Endangered Historic Sites in Virginia.  Built in 1895, St. Frances de Sales was founded as a private high school to educate young, African American women.  “Sister” Katharine Drexel, daughter of a wealthy Philadelphia banker and philanthropist, became a Roman Catholic nun who founded the religious order of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament.  Powhatan Today

MonticelloNew “Behind the Scenes” tour:  New interior spaces in Thomas Jefferson’s estate will be open to public.  The dome room on the top floor of the house, accessible only by climbing steep, narrow stairs and painted a brilliant yellow with circular windows surrounding its walls, is part of the new tour.  Rooms on the second floor are also be on display.  Monticello also opened an exhibit titled “Crossroads.”  Installed in the house’s central cellar space, the exhibit focuses on the work and the people required to sustain Jefferson’s household.  Hernando Today

Charlottesville, Martha Jefferson Neighborhood: BAR puts off decision:  The Board of Architectural Review has postponed making a recommendation on whether the neighborhood should become the city’s first historic conservation district.  Some BAR members said they did not want to make a decision until a list of architectural features that define the neighborhood’s character is created.  Much of the state and national register-listed neighborhood was carved out of Locust Grove farm.  In 1892, the land was sold to the Locust Grove Investment Company, who created the grid system for the neighborhood.  Charlottesville Tomorrow

Richmond African American Oral History ProjectLooking for first-hand accounts: The Virginia Commonwealth University Department of African American Studies, in collaboration with the Richmond City Council Slave Trail Commission, is inviting African Americans, 90-years of age or above, who were born and raised in Richmond and/or the surrounding area, to participate in an oral history project.  For more information, contact Dr. Shawn O. Utsey,  at VCU at 804.828.4150, or  by email at soutsey@vcu.edu.   WTVR

Richmond “Burial Ground for Negroes“:  Suit seeks to make state conduct archaeological investigation:  A lawsuit seeking to force test excavations to determine the boundaries of a slave burial ground under a Virginia Commonwealth University parking lot is scheduled to be heard July 1 in Richmond Circuit Court.   Richmond Times-Dispatch

Juneteenth, Richmond: Events scheduled this weekend:  Americans will celebrate Independence Day with fireworks and barbecues. But tomorrow, the Elegba Folklore Society will celebrate the African-American Independence Day in downtown Richmond.  African-American Independence Day, better known as Juneteenth, is a celebration of the end of slavery in Texas.  Though the Emancipation Proclamation was signed in 1863, most African-Americans in the South remained enslaved until the end of the Civil War in 1865.  Richmond Times-Dispatch

Virginia Capital Trail: Foundation seeks corporate support:  VTCF is looking for corporate partners to assist in enhancing portions of the 55-mile long, multi-use trail that will eventually connect the  historic capitals of Williamsburg/Jamestown with Richmond.  The trail will travel along Route 5.   Business Wire

Monacan Nation, Amherst Co.Funeral for George Branham Whitewolf:  Surrounded by children and those who held him as beloved, Monacan Indian Nation Assistant Chief George Branham Whitewolf was laid to rest at the tribal burial grounds on June 12.  Whitewolf, 67, died of complications from heart bypass surgery.  Lynchburg News & Advance

Orange Co.Civil War-era history:  Events offer opportunity to partake in a living history weekend at the Gordonsville Exchange Hotel Civil War Museum or witness a Civil War camp reenactment at Montpelier.  Orange County Review

Tidewater Region

Obici House, Suffolk: City demolishes part of historic home:  Contractors tore down the front and back porches and the entire kitchen.  Deputy City Manager Patrick Roberts said the city was removing the structural damage in the home before turning it over to the operator of the Sleepy Hole Golf Course, for a future clubhouse.  The house, built in 1924, belonged to Amedeo Obici, founder of Planters Peanuts.   The Virginian-Pilot

Colonial WilliamsburgArtisans to reproduce a British  Revolutionary War cannon:  The first-ever cannon pour is the result of extensive research and trial-and-error testing to rediscover the 18th-century art of large object casting practiced by foundrymen of the time.   PilotOnline

Norfolk, Talbot Hall Future uncertain:  Neighbors and supporters of historic Talbot Hall are uniting to thwart the possible sale of the 200-year-old property on the bank of the Lafayette River.  The Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia owns the estate, which includes four buildings and the plantation.  PilotOnline

Roanoke & Southwest Region

Booker T. Washington National Monument, Franklin Co.Expansion bill in pipeline:  Congressman Tom Perriello has introduced a bill to authorize the National Park Service to acquire an additional 67.5 acres of land surrounding the current monument park, which was founded in 1956 to preserve portions of the tobacco farm where Washington was born into slavery in 1856.  In 2008, the monument attracted nearly 20,000 visitors who contributed over $1 million dollars to local economies.   The Union Star More here: Roanoke Times

Statewide

Film Tax Credits Gov. signs bill to lure film projects to state:  Set against a backdrop any movie director could work with, Gov. Bob McDonnell ceremonially signed bills extending tax credits to productions filmed in Virginia.  Up to $2.5 million will be up for grabs between January 2011 and July 2012.   Starting in 2013, the credits will extend to interactive digital media projects.  Richmond Times-Dispatch

National Heritage AreasSVBF joins in rallying support for NHAs:  Representatives of the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation joined with members of Congress and partners from across the country to rally support for national heritage areas at a press conference at the U.S. Capitol.  Legislation authorizing a National Heritage Areas Program would improve the establishment of new areas by creating criteria and standards for qualification as a heritage area, and ensuring that they meet management guidelines. The legislation would also foster a permanent base funding stream for the program.  WHSV

Virginia PeanutsVote for them:  The Congressional Quarterly and Roll Call magazine in Washington are conducting a contest in conjunction with the Congressional Baseball Game played between the Democrats and the Republicans.  Leading up to the game on June 29 at Nationals Stadium, people will be asked to sample the peanuts in the Congressional offices of peanut states and go to a website to vote on the ones they consider the best.  You can go here and vote for Virginia.

Beyond Virginia

Pig Point, Archaeological Site,  MarylandPatuxent River site indicates occupation 10k years back:   Slicing deeper in the sandy bluff overlooking the Patuxent’s broad marsh, archaeologist Al Luckenbach’s crew has found stone tools suggesting that humans were exploiting the river’s abundance as far back as 10,000 years ago. There are also post molds beyond a layer where pottery disappears — a time about 3,000 years ago, before ceramic technology came to the area.   Baltimore Sun

RosesRustling old roses:  The simple beauty and heady scent of old roses have captivated rose lovers, including Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, for centuries. And they were all there were in this country till 1867, when the first hybrid tea rose — with its elegant, pointed buds and stiff, upright stems — entered the marketplace and, over time, blew almost everything else off the shelf.  Philadelphia Inquirer

William J. MitchellUrban visionary and architect dies:  Mitchell was an architect by training but an urban visionary by avocation.  Early on, he saw the application of computers to architectural design.  His pioneering work in this area, and his books “Computer-Aided Architectural Design” (1977) and “The Logic of Architecture: Design, Computation and Cognition” (1990) profoundly changed the way architects approached building design.  New York Times

Exotic Building MaterialsThe high-end global market:  There are those who think nothing of dispatching their architects and builders to the Middle East for the perfect limestone, even as bombs are going off, or to Indonesia for centuries-old reclaimed teak.  John Finton travels the world to find rare and beautiful building materials for his clients. He has gone to China for cobblestones, to the jungles of Nicaragua because another client wanted an authentic and rustic clay tile, to Jerusalem to make sure the so-called biblical stone his client had ordered was coming from a school that really was hundreds of years old.  New York Times

American Soccer: In the 1920s was it on the cusp of going mainstream?:  “If you aren’t a soccer fan—really, even if you are—you’ve likely never heard of the ASL or imagined a thriving soccer scene in 1920s America.  For many years after the league’s collapse, its story was almost completely forgotten.  The ASL’s records were lost, probably when the governing body of U.S. soccer moved its office to the Empire State Building after World War II.  . .  That we know anything at all about the ASL today is largely thanks to the efforts of a few committed historians.”   Slate

National Trust for Historic PreservationNames Stephanie Meeks president:  The NTHP has named Meeks its first woman president.  National Trust


Week of

June 11, 2010

Greetings,

These clips are provided as a service of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources.  The clips are gathered and posted on a weekly basis or as time allows.

News from DHR:

Cemetery Workshop: In May DHR staff developed and hosted a two-day Cemetery Workshop at DHR headquarters in Richmond.  The workshop (with attendance at full capacity both days) drew attendees from consulting firms, government agencies, historical societies, and the general public.  DHR’s easement archaeologist Joanna W. Green,  conservator Caitlin O’Grady, and archaeological data manager Jolene Smith gave presentations.  Representatives from the Library of Virginia, the Archeological Society of Virginia, and two cultural resource consulting firms also gave presentations.  DHR state archaeologist Mike Barber opened and closed the event.  Topics included conservation, documentation, DHR’s cemetery recordation process, iconography and symbols, genealogy, laws and enforcement, skeletal analysis, and the process for “ground-truthing” or identifying unmarked cemeteries.  The workshop’s second day consisted of a hands-on session at Hollywood Cemetery that dealt with gravestone photography, proper conservation techniques, iconography, and recordation.  DHR will be posting highlights of the event on our web site, including some of the information presented during the workshop.  The event was such a huge success judging by the feedback received that DHR is now making plans to hold similar workshops at other venues around the state.  For more information, contact Dee DeRoche, DHR chief curator, by email: dee.deroche@dhr.virginia.gov.

New Civil War battlefield easementFisher’s Hill Battlefield, Shenandoah Co.:  An easement has been completed on property owned by Larry W. Allamong in Shenandoah Co.  The easement was purchased by and is co-held with the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation, using grants from Virginia’s Civil War Historic Site Preservation Fund, the American Battlefield Protection Program and the Civil War Preservation Trust.  It protects 32.439 acres of land, southwest of Strasburg and adjacent to 194-acres of land owned by the SVBF.  The property lies within the core area of the Fisher’s Hill battlefield (September 22, 1864).  That battle resulted in a Union victory for Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan, and opened the Shenandoah Valley to Union control and what would later be known as “the Burning” of the Valley by Sheridan’s army.  Placing this property under historic preservation and open-space easement will protect the historic battlefield landscape and preserve a visitor’s views of the battlefield.

New National Register listings in Virginia:  Altavista Downtown Historic District, Campbell Co.;  Purcellville Train Station, also Purcellville’s Tabernacle–Fireman’s Field, Loudoun Co.; Martinsville Novelty Corporation Factory, Martinsville; Noland Company Building, Newport News.

News from Around Virginia:

Capital / Central Region

Morven Farm, Albemarle Co.Archaeology:  Research may shed light on early tenant farmers.  Archaeologists identified seven or eight sites, as well as one that contained prehistoric artifacts.  The research should also yield new insights on Jefferson’s relationship with William Short, “one of the most interesting people who lived in Albemarle County” during the era, according to one researcher. C’ville Weekly

Albemarle Co.Funding for land protection down: The county spent $1 million or more per year between 2000 and 2008 on a program designed to protect rural land from development through conservation easements. The economic downturn, however, has reduced funding for the program.  Charlottesville Daily-Progress

Powhatan Co.: Proposed firing range draws heat:  A planned law-enforcement shooting range came under heavy fire from the nearly 300 Powhatan residents attending the first meeting on the topic. While the land is part of the Virginia Department of Correction’s sprawling 2,600 acres, it is also about 1,000 feet from several homes and farms in a  quiet, historic community.  Richmond Times Dispatch

Roanoke / Southwest Region

National D-Day Memorial, BedfordCitizens see red over Joseph Stalin bust:  The bust of the reviled Soviet dictator, placed at the memorial despite public protest, is part of a series of Allied world leaders who united against Hitler’s Germany.  Annie Pollard, a Bedford County supervisor, said she feels its presence is “a slap in the face to all these other people we honor and remember.”  Lynchburg News & Advance

Northern / Shenandoah Valley Region

Loudoun Co.Limestone overlay district designated:  To protect homeowners, the county created a limestone overlay district.  The ordinance requires X-rays of the ground to locate voids and dictates setbacks from these above- and below-ground sinks. From 1793 to 1817, when the U.S. Capitol was built and then rebuilt after it burned in 1814, the county’s Potomac marble (limestone) was delivered by wagon the 40 miles, then cut, polished and put in place. Visitors continue to admire the stone, as lustrous as real marble, in the lower level of the Capitol building. Washington Post

Purcellville, Loudoun Co.: Town’s Tabernacle and train depot listed on National Register:  The Tabernacle, constructed in 1903 to host the annual “bush meetings” of the Prohibition and Evangelical Association of Loudoun County, is one of only three such bush meeting structures remaining in Virginia.  It  is undergoing a substantial rehabilitation by the town.  The 1904 Train Station was restored in the late 1990’s in its original location along the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, formerly a Southern Railway line.  Loudoun Daily-Monitor

Potomac River, King George Co.: Navy divers locate steamboat that wrecked in 1873:  A team from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit, composed of reserve and active-duty Navy divers, spent a week-long training mission searching for the remains of the steamboat Wawaset, which went down in flames on Aug. 8, 1873. The Wawaset used to ferry folks from D.C., up and down the river.   Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

StauntonBill Frazier weighs in on current Central Ave. project:   “The irony here is the city is now installing new brick sidewalks and historically styled lighting as a part of the Churchville Avenue project but evidently failed, for whatever reason, to recognize the value of Central Avenue’s original cobble and brick streets.”   Staunton News Leader

National Museum of the Marines Corps: New galleries focus on World War I:  Marine and Stafford County resident Harry Clark was among the ‘Devil Dogs’ who fought in an iconic battle with the Germans in June 1918.  Clark  survived the Battle of Belleau Wood, which began June 6, 1918.  That fight lasted 20 days.  Belleau Wood is the centerpiece of the gallery honoring Marines like Clark, whose daughter, Mary Clark Bryant, 89, lives in southern Stafford with her husband.  Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Tidewater

Jamestown Yorktown Foundation: Receives Paspahegh archaeological collection:  The vast  collection, unearthed during the creation of an upscale subdivision in the early 1990s, has been donated to JYF.  Much of the collection stems from Paspahegh, a Powhatan Indian village that stood at the time of Jamestown’s 1607 founding.  “This is, for the story of early Colonial-Indian relations in Virginia, as important as Jamestown,” said Tom Davidson, senior curator for JYF.  “It’s the other half of the Jamestown story. Indians and Englishman were interacting at Jamestown, but Indians and Englishman, perhaps the same people, were also interacting at Paspahegh, which is only a short distance away. This is a very significant site.”  Williamsburg Yorktown Daily

Gloucester, Gloucester Co.: Foundation purchases historic gas station building:  The Fairfield Foundation has purchased the J.C. Brown Texaco building and car wash.  FF envisions restoring the exterior of the building and housing on the inside an office and archaeological laboratory.  Built in 1930, and opened in 1931, the gas station went out of business and was abandoned for good in the 1990s.   Daily Press Also:  examiner.com

The College of William & Mary: Endowed chair honors archaeologist William Kelso:  Margaret Nelson Fowler and Roy Hock, both of Williamsburg, considered Kelso’s experience at W & M, and together made a decision to endow the Dr. William M. Kelso Graduate Fellowship in Early American Studies with a gift of $250,000.  The fellowship will provide an entering W & M history, American studies or anthropology graduate student with stipend support and research expenses.  W & M Website

Four Rivers Native American Drum, TidewaterGroup’s origins and diversity:  Four Rivers Native American Drum started in the mid 1990s with just four drummers and singers and has grown to 19 members.  They eventually named themselves Four Rivers because of their location on the Virginia Peninsula.  In order for members to perform at an event, they must cross one of the four rivers that surround them. One of the distinctions of the group is its Native diversity.  Indian Country Today

Beyond Virginia:

Dan River, North CarolinaSubmerged batteau replica recovered:  The batteau replica, aptly named Dan River, was built in Virginia in 2002.  A high water event in 2008 caused the boat to submerge and eventually sink.  “I call them [batteaux] the freight haulers of the 19th century,” Dr. Lindley Butler said. “The river was really like the interstate highway of that period, because the roads were hard to travel during this time. You could get through on foot and horseback, but bringing a wagon of goods along the land was nearly impossible.”  GoDanRiver.com

PalladioHis influence on American architecture:  Witold Rybczynski slide show:  “Palladio combines practicality with grandeur. . .  which particularly appealed to American sensibilities.  Since Palladio’s designs could be achieved in a variety of materials, and with a variety of means—grand and modest—they particularly suited a democracy.  And Roman allusions fitted the new republic.”   Slate

Silent FilmsSignificant trove recovered:  A late silent feature directed by John Ford, a short comedy directed by Mabel Normand, a period drama starring Clara Bow and a group of early one-reel westerns are among a trove of long-lost American films recently found in the New Zealand Film Archive.  Some 75 of these movies, chosen for their historical and cultural importance, are in the process of being returned to the U.S. to be preserved.  New York Times NYT Slideshow